Monday, March 26, 2007

Florida, Gilbert, Kobe and More

Okay so I realize that I am officially a giant vagina for not going out to Vegas this weekend with the Occasional Joo and Shawn Mc, but if I left then no one would be here to rant. Therefore I gave up a week of Vegas for you, I gave up a week of Gambling and Prostitutes for you, be grateful you little pricks. By the way I also gave up Vegas because I'm poor. By the way I'm tired of typing Occasional Joo, I'm just going to call him OJ because they both probably have aids and are killers. Anyways this was a pretty cool weekend of hoops, between Kobe and the Tourney I cant be disappointed. So on with the Post!

First off let me say that I actually didn't eat complete shit with my bracket, I picked 3 of the 4 final four teams only missing out on those John Amaechi loving homos from Texas A&M. Seriously the only reason you went to A&M is because UT didn't recruit you (For the record, apparently this sight has a horrible man-crush on A&M considering that all of us had them in the Final Four and OJ was dumb enough to pick them to win it all). This past weekend proved that Florida is easily the best team in college hoops. Oregon was double and triple teaming Noah and Horford all day and all they did was dish it out to Taurean Green and Lee Humphreys to drain it from the outside or give it up to Corey Brewer so he could dunk over a midget. If you play man on them then they will penetrate all day and dominate you, if you play zone then they will hit it from outside all day, there is no beating them. Ohio State looks good but I think they will have trouble against teams that have the size to match up with them, Georgetown and Florida come to mind. UCLA is easily the blacksheep of the group and although I like them I dont think they're going to make it past Florida.

The UNC-Georgetown game proved my drunk rant to be correct. Do not bet on teams that rely heavily on their white players. Tyler Hansbrough was good in the beginning scoring ten points in the first 5 minutes, but he dissapeared when it mattered scoring only two points in the final ten minutes. No I dont blame him, I blame Roy Williams. When your up by ten with 8 minutes to go a good idea would be to work the clock, pound it inside and let your big man do the work. Especially since your best player Hansbrough is a 76% foul shooter, which is not too shabby. You know what, maybe Williams pulled the Rick Barnes approach and made sure they didn't win in order to try to convince his studs to stick around until they win a National Championship.

Skipping forward to the NBA, Kobe Bryant has officially proved that he is by far the best player in the league. Four straight games of 50 points or more and the best part about it is it was for the good of the team. The Lakers went 4-0 over that stretch so for those of you thinking ball-hog or team killer, go to hell because you do not know anything about hoops. Now I can understand people not liking the guy, but you can't say that anyone is a better player than this guy. Now if Kobe had the crazy personality of Gilbert Arenas we would have the most entertaining player in the league.

On to Agent Zero, Gilbert Arenas is the best thing that has happened to the NBA in a long time. I think that its ridiculous that he was reprimanded by the league for making stupid little bets with fans about hitting a game-winning shot. Whats wrong with making a stupid $10 dollar bet with a fan who may have otherwise lost interest in the game or left early, both of which have become trends at sporting events lately. On top of that, what if it was a casual fan who attends one or two games a season? You seriously dont think that this fan will start going to almost every game he possibly can if he knows that Gilbert is playing.

Also, Screw the Commisioner. David Stern is KILLING basketball. The NBA is missing the fun factor that made all of us fans to begin with. Players now get a technical for showing any emotion on the court, you can't celebrate a dunk or complain about a bad call without your team giving up possession and a foul shot. This would be the equivalent of giving a penalty to a football player for excessive celebration when he flips into the endzone, oh wait they do that now. Damn. I propose giving technical fouls only when celebration is clearly ill-advised, such as a huge dunk when your down by 30 or when the other team starts getting into a fight with your home fans. Otherwise, let the taunting begin.

When I play a game of basketball or even beer pong with my friends I talk so much shit when I'm winning. Hell I talk shit when I'm losing, I never stop talking shit. If I were in the NBA I would get fined 3 or 4 times a week. The shit-talking goes both ways too, kind of like OJ's Mom, if my athletically challenged friends somehow beat me in anything that involves competition then I expect them to talk as much shit to me as possible. During this time, I will defiantly stand by the fact that they cheated in some fashion. In short, hopefully Gilbert will be the guy who brings emotion back into the game and makes it entertaining again, not just for the players but for the fans.

No comments: